May 24, 2010

Letter to Richard ~ Rough Draft

Hello again, blog readers!
Oh, Richard, I've missed you and my RA buddies...
but what can ya do when life gets busy, eh?
Thank you for understanding, Monet.

So a while ago, I mentioned HERE how I've been a bit of a chicken
when it came to writing RA a fan letter.  I haven't done such a thing ever!
(Well, I might have written one to Paul McCartney once when I was
13 and going through Beatlemania a few decades too late.)

Anyway, thank you to everyone who gave me the encouragement to just do it!
I originally planned on being really selfish and having you basically write the letter for me...
(a-heh... *guilty laugh*) but then after reading your comments, I realized I should write my own piece and
then include your 2 cents as part of the letter, individually.  If any of you would like your comment removed
(or your username changed to "anonymous"), please let me know.  Also, if you'd like to add
a comment now is your last chance since I plan to mail the final draft next week.
(Email me at armitageblog@yahoo.com or leave it in the comments section below.)

Here's what I have so far...
I am not eloquent and pretty sure I sound like a dork, but oh well. :)


Dear Richard,

American fan Natalie here! I’ve been wanting to send you a little something to say “hello” and “thank you for the awesome entertainment you’ve supplied” for a while… but I’ve been too bashful. I mean, the thought of THE Richard Armitage even possibly reading this letter makes me blush! I know you’re just a regular guy and all, but you’re my favorite actor and I greatly admire your talent.  Plus, I'm just going to say it~ you're so darn handsome.  (Don't worry... I'm not a crazy stalker, but happily married with 2 1/2 kids.  Plus I live far away.)

Something that has given me an outlet from everyday household cares is a fan blog I run in your honor, which can be seen here: www.armitagefanblog.blogspot.com  This blog is more of a fan letter to you than anything I could possibly write down and send in the mail. It is light-hearted and humorous.  It is such a fun hobby and I’ve made many friends throughout the world, so I owe you a big thanks for that as well!

On a side note: I also have created a comic based on you and your work called “The Adventures of Stick-Figure Richard.” So far, there are 7 short slide show videos on You Tube, which chronicle the fun-filled, humorous adventures of SFR. They can be found on You Tube if you search for “Natazukii” (my username) or “Stick-Figure Richard.” They are also linked on the sidebar of my blog. SFR even has a few groupies! (It must be the cute sideburns.)
I would be so honored if you would check out my blog and/or the Stick-Figure Richard comics when you have a spare moment. Hopefully you will get a kick out of them. (After all, the intent is to get people to smile.) If you have any comments, suggestions or have an idea for the next SFR adventure, please let me know!

Before I wrap things up, it is thanks to the encouragement of my blog readers that I’ve finally had the motivation to send you this letter. Several of them have things they’ve wanted to add as well:

Time_4_T~ Please accept this letter in the spirit it is written - not from an "army" but from thoughtful people who appreciate your talent as an actor.
Anonymous~ One great thing about being a fan of yours is meeting and forming friendships with others who share similar interests.
Beth~ (Greetings from Argentina!) Even though I live very far from you, with your work I feel very close.
Musa~ I love the fact that you have a wonderful sense of humor and though you take your work seriously you don't take yourself too seriously. I admire that in a person.
Lady Gis-Monet Thornton~ Richard, we here at The Richard Armitage Fan Blog are not to be confused with crazed fans or an "army" (you know what I mean, right Richard?) In fact, we assemble here just as a means of sharing our deep appreciation for your inspiring and excellent work as a collective, friendly community. Any flames against you are promptly used to toast marshmallows.
flandersdreamer~ People, regardless of where they live, which language they speak or what background they have, became friends because of you, dear Mr. Armitage. You have an extraordinary talent as an actor and a rare quality as a person that makes us want to share our thoughts about you. Thank you for that.
MillyMe~ You have shared with us how you prepare for each part that you play through the reading of literature and often extensive physical training and you make sure that you give credit to the authors, film-makers and other cast members. This ensures that people who read your interviews are aware of how much of a team effort every artistic endeavor is.
30Rock~ Please don't ever ever think about cosmetic surgery for your nose. It's perfect just the way it is.
@Rob~ You always manage to create these real characters, and I forget that I am watching you and become lost in the story. And, yes, your nose is perfect, if you go under the knife, I am out.
Myrtle~ You have many supporters here in America and it would be wonderful to see you work over here. Some of them would like to take you skiing.
Chica Popcorn~ Did you know you have fans in Mexico too? I hope you can visit America someday! You will be welcome that's for sure! I wanted to express my admiration for your professional work and especially towards your humanity and your humility with your fans and your admirers.
Twinkling Moon~ And when you do come over State-side, don't worry about having a perfect American accent. Just be your lovely, charming, British self. We Americans actually go all-a-flutter when we hear that English accent
Jane M~ I can't wait to see where the future takes you. Best wishes for your future professional endeavors. May you enjoy them as much as your fans do.
onemorelurker1~ Greetings from Peru! *Thank you* for putting so much effort into every character you play, each one has touch us in different ways, they’re complex, very human. Your portrayal of them has inspired not only me but also many fans (i.e fiction, videos, graphics, paintings, blogs…), I just have to watch their work and I'm amazed at the result obtained from their talent and the understanding and caring of your characters.
Phylly3~ I have never participated in a fandom before but something about your exquisite skill at character portrayal combined with the tidbits we learn about what an intelligent and kind human being you are in real life has made me and so many others want to follow your career and cheer for you along the way.
Anonymous~ You are one handsome guy. I especially like to see you wearing a cravat, black leather or fuzzy sweaters.
Anonymous~ Things a Man Should NOT Say When Attempting to Fend Off a Thronging Horde of Female Admirers:
“My best dance is the Argentinean Tango.”
“I’m pretty handy with a screwdriver.”
“I would probably like to kiss Nigella Lawson after she’s just eaten a chunk of chocolate cake.”
“Night-night. Sleep tight.”
Elisabet~ Greetings from the Netherlands! I would like to thank you so much for sharing your extraordinary talent. A number of the roles that you have played have even helped me think about situations in my life and understand them better. You really have a wonderful gift.
I know I’m biased, but aren’t my blog readers (aka: YOUR fans) great? The overwhelming majority of them are so friendly, funny and intelligent!

* * * * *
And Mrs. Armitage, if you are reading this (I’ve heard that Richard’s mother helps sort through his mail)
thank you for having such a kind, talented, good-looking son. You must be very proud! Do us a favor and see if you can persuade him to do another period film.
* * * * *

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Best wishes and much respect,
Natalie  ~the blabbering blogger, stick figure-drawer, young wife and mother from across the pond
and The Richard Armitage Fan Blog readers



What do you think?
FYI, this would currently take 4 printed pages.

65 comments:

MillyMe said...

Welcome back, Nat, you've been missed!

I think your idea about the letter looks good. Four pages is rather long, but Richard has said that he is very polite and I'm sure he'll take the effort to read and perhaps reply. Stick-figure Richard won't fail to charm him, of that I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

I like it. True, four pages makes a lengthy letter, but because of the way it's broken up, it's a breezy (and enjoyable) read.

Your fans' comments are so thoughtful. And I love the part where you said, "Plus I live far away." Tickled me to no end.

Katie said...

I agree that for four pages, I read it in hardly any time at all. I found it humourous and engaging, so a great rough draft. Please post the final draft for us on here! As I am unlikely to ever write a fan letter (I'm too nervous xD) could you put this bit in under the name Sephy Rose: I would like to express my admiration for your work as you provide a truely engaging and interesting persona with every character you play.

30rock said...

Was it really four pages - it took me no time to read it - I loved it. Of course Richard may have a bit more trouble reading if he cringes or is embarrassed at nice things said about him, but there's nothing you can do about that, short of not sending it at all.

Please do send it Natalie, I am sure it will be noticed - here's hoping for a personal reply!

Luna said...

That is a great idea and I really love your letter! Keep us informed about it please!!!!

Lady Gis-Monet Thornton said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS! Excellent, EXCELLENT job, Nat! It honestly didn't seem like four pages; I so enjoyed reading it. Thanks (1) for adding your own words to it (since you write so well and very charmingly!), (2) for letting the blog readers add their thoughts, and (3) including my comment!!! To think that THEEE Richard Armitage will be reading our collective letter, or better yet, watching the SFR vids! Squeee! Thanks sooooo much!

Myrtle said...

Perfect, just perfect!

The Coleclan9 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Coleclan9 said...

the letter is great! i couldn't put up a comment earlier, so hopefully i'm not too late. please put it under the name 'zyradustorm':
"I deeply admire your talent, and dearly hope you will come to the States! Your acting is phenomenal, and it makes me believe every character you play is a real, living, feeling person! Not just anyone can do that. And yes, please do another period piece!"
edit it as much as you like Nat, i'm not too good at this kind of thing. but i couldn't pass up an opportunity in which richard might actually read something from me!

Anonymous said...

I also was surprised to read this is 4 pages long, I read it so fast!
Thanks for you effort Nat, you've done a great job, it's funny and entertaining IMHO.

I blushed when I read my comment thinking *the* Mr.Armitage might read it :D. May I add: "(By the way, I miss Sir Guy of Gisborne and totally agree with Twinkling Moon)" ;)

OML :)

bZirk said...

Natalie,

It's a masterpiece!

You must be using mighty big print for it to make 4 pages, but hey, it makes it easier to hang on the wall. :D

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

I'm glad you guys like it. I guess I don't feel so dorky any more. :) Okay, so it's actually 3 1/2 pages long (but may be longer if more blog reader comments are added) and I've used size 12 font and made all the margins 1/2 an inch! (Maybe it's longish on paper because I've included a small photo of the blog header and SFR, plus all the blog reader comments have spaces between.)

bZirk said...

Okay, my anal side is satisfied that it should be that long. LOL!

I would add something, but I don't have anything that would make Richard Armitage fall over in a dead faint with undying love for me. :D

Unknown said...

I love the letter so cute! I too loved the "I live far away" bit! I don't want to add a comment since I know you have alot but can you add that he has ALOT of loyal fans in the US?

Also don't forget to ask for a signed pic!!!

Fanny/iz4blue said...

This is wonderful!! If not too late, I finally muster up some courage:
"Thank you for giving a face to John Thornton and a voice to Sylvester and Damerel."and you can use my blogname.
Thanks for this effort! He is a reader after all so I doubt length would be an issue!

@bzirk: you crack me up! That is the grandest remark of all!!

tyme_4_t said...

Hey Nat - no second guessing - add the additional comments others have added then just send it! Thanks for including your blogger fans' comments as well - very sweet!

Please under mine (tyme4t) add "There are many Canadian fans who enjoy your work!" (or somewhere else mention Canada -just want Canada mentioned too)

Jane O said...

Oh my, I love it! Reading over it, it gives little glimpses of all of us fans (especially Nat--you write so well!) And I'm so glad you mentioned SFR. I love SFR, and Real Life Richard probably will too.

Only edit to make (which you've probably already noticed): toward the bottom, perhaps you want to change "I know I'm bias" to "I know I'm biased"--I love grammar, I can't help it!

RAFrenzy said...

Nat,

I've struggled with something to say because I find myself wanting to rave about you in the letter, and I have a feeling you won't put that in!

So here's how I'll phrase my comment:

Thank you Mr. Armitage for all of the hours of wonderful entertainment and thought provoking comments, and thank you for inspiring people like Natalie. What a pleasure she has been as well. I hope you will take a look at her blog because I know you will enjoy it. I also hope she leaves my comment exactly as I've written it.

Unknown said...

Ok sorry one more thing, what do you think of asking him to confirm or deny if its really him on the Youtube video of those kids dancing to the Gloria song? Too corny?

And thank you for doing this, I wouldn't do it myself but seeing here on your blog it really feels like I'm taking a little part in it!

B* said...

[I must agree with tyme_4_t re: Canada] Hollywood North is calling you, Richard!

Phylly3 said...

Thanks so much for doing this Nat. It is really great as it is. But I agree with Tyme_4_T to please add that he has many Canadian fans too!

Twinkling Moon said...

@Nat, please do send the letter! I think the fact that you included your bloggers in the letter is so sweet and unique to you (BTW, so flattered to have my comments and name associated with this in any way)

In fact, you orchestrated the blog-hopping RA related polls, right? That was such a great idea as it exposed me to so many more wonderful, humorous, light-hearted blogs and that RAFAnstravagnza (sp?) just proves how he has been able to bring people all over the world together in a fun way. I think we all know that at times there has been some infighting among his fans and I think he would really appreciate knowing that so many of his fans are part of the fandom for the fun it offers.

Also, my favorite part of the letter was the "happily married with 2.5 kids" :) I read that to mean you were referring to the average number of kids in a household, not that one was on the way, LOL!

Please post the final version of the letter and the response you get. I wouldn't worry about the length (I was going to suggest you play with the margins but glad to know you were already hip to that trick) because it's really a letter from so many participants. I think it's shorter this way than if we each wrote a letter.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared their wit on this blog. You guys make me smile :)

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

I don't plan on mailing this letter until the first week in June, so keep the comments coming if you want yours included.

Jane M- Thank you for the grammar correction! I know I probably make tons of spelling and grammar mistakes here all the time! (This blog doesn't have spell check... something I normally use all the time.) It's weird that microsoft word didn't pick up on that grammar error, though, since I wrote the letter there.

Twinkling Moon- The "2.5 kids" was actually a reference to the number of children I currently have, including the bun-in-the-oven. :) Maybe we should mention the Fanstravaganza. That was cool. (And it was Maria Grazia's idea, not mine, but I did act as the spokesperson to the other bloggers.)

flandersdreamer said...

Just send it! He's going to have a meltdown! It's perfect!

diveknit said...

I am too chicken to add something, but I love the idea, the letter and support it whole heatedly. You guys all echo my thoughts anyway :)
And yea, please mention Canada!
Thanks Nat for doing this.

sophie said...

and he has many french fans too.Your blog is great Nat and the idea to send the this letter is very exiting

MillyMe said...

If we're naming countries around the globe you could mention Norway. It might put the idea of skiing in his head and who knows where he'll book his next winter holiday?

Fanny/iz4blue said...

Yes DO mention the Fanstravaganza that was wonderful!! I think he very much would appreciate his characters being showcased.

BETH said...

Oh Nat! I am so excited to send this letter to Richard! thanks! kisses from Argentina.

*Chica Popcorn* said...

I love it!! thanks for adding my comments Nat!! and... do you think he will answer this letter? or that he will send his autograph back?

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

I'm not going to ask for an autograph. I would be tickled pink if I somehow knew that he checked out this blog or the SFR comics, though! (Just the though makes me all giddy and blush with excitement and embarassment.) Hopefully he'll realize I'm an enthusiastic fan with a crazy sense of humor instead of thinking I'm just plain crazy. :)

Elisabet said...

Dear Nat,
It has become a wonderful letter, and indeed easy readable. This is a great idea indeed.

JEMAA said...

Nat - Thanks for doing the letter! Could you pleas include the following fro JEMAA -

Greetings from another Canadian who ardently admires your work. It takes special talent to bring such depth to your roles and courage to allow the vulnerable part of your characters to show through. Thank you, not only for for many hours of amazing entertainment,but for many enlightening moments. Very best wishes in all your future endeavors - we'll be waiting with great anticipation!

JEMAA said...

Nat - Thanks for doing the letter! Could you please include the following from JEMAA -

Greetings from another Canadian who ardently admires your work. It takes special talent to bring such depth to your roles and courage to allow the vulnerable part of your characters to show through. Thank you, not only for for many hours of amazing entertainment,but for many enlightening moments. Very best wishes in all your future endeavors - we'll be waiting with great anticipation!

Twinkling Moon said...

Nat, I think you should so mention the Fanstravaganza. It really shows that there is a fan base that appreciates and enjoys his work, and is not just focused on "obsessing about the man" but really connects with his characters. That's a credit to his acting ability and I think he'll appreciate that. Plus, the polls were entertaining and from what I see RA has a good sense of humor and doesn't take himself seriously.

I think he'll be the one who's "tickled pink" when (not if) he checks out your blog! Maybe he'll just shoot you an email instead of commenting on the blog directly (he might be worried that if he comments on one blog and not another some fans might get upset with him) but I simply can't imagine that he won't acknowledge your letter and blog in some way.

I can't wait to hear his reaction :)

fitzg said...

Could I just ask how many Canadian fans are out here? Do we have enough to start a fan group? The U.S. have it, Australia has it...

B* said...

Good idea, fitzg, we seem to be coming out of the woodwork.... :)

tyme_4_t said...

Hey fitzg - count me in! I can represent Nova Scotia (and all the maritimes if necessary!)
Do you have your own blog or are you like me who likes to comment and read blogs but doesn't have her own?

fitzg said...

@ all Maple Leaves -
I have no blog. Techno-idiot speaking. Can we take this off-line and pool resources, and see what can happen?

Gmail has been mucking me up for weeks; I could put my e-address here, but don't know the etiquette of this. Any ideas, anyone?

bZirk said...

I don't think anyone would be offended by you putting up your email addy, but you don't have to divulge that kind of information. Someone among you can set up a very simple blog on blogspot, and then create an id for that blog that allows all of you to come together. Or you can create a facebook page and do the same thing. I hesitate on facebook since I'm not a fan of it these days. But it's an option.

fitzg said...

Many thanks, Bzirk. Now, we'll stop taking up space on Nat's excellent blog, and see where we go from here.

bZirk said...

I would hate for you all to go away! I just don't want you to have to reveal your userids. Really, you don't even have to create a blogspot to do that. Just make a new userid. Gmail is a good option because it's so easy to chat there. Heck, I'll make one for you if none of you want to do it, and then one of you can take charge of it. LOL!

fitzg said...

You're a sweetheart, bZirk! No way we're going away - Nat's blog is too good! No matter what, I wouldn't miss it, or the opportunity to comment or read comments.

Just meant that we should retire to see if we can come up with another RA fan spot, simply to add to the international appreciation.

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

I like every Canadian RA fan that I've met and I know a handful at least. If you guys start your own Candada for RA club via blog or facebook page, please let me know so I can see what fun things you post. Or is this for Canadians only? There's only one state blocking mine from Canada, you know, so we're practically neighbors. :)

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

Um... I really do know how to spell Canada. Duh.

fitzg said...

Nat, you think you're the only proof-reading-challenged person? :) (I don't type well, either).

Don't know how the other M.Ls feel, but I think a Canadians-only blog would be rather counter-productive, not to mention, unfriendly!

Colleagues (across borders, and seas) are A-OK.

RAFrenzy said...

Definitely let us know if you do a blog or website, so I can put it on my addict list.

tyme_4_t said...

First of all - and I think I probably speak for all us Canuck girls - we ain't goin' nowhere! We will all follow all the same RA blogs we have been. and if we do create another blog space - all fans will of course be invited to follow along!
I have made a couple of Search Stories on youtube - so you can leave me a note there if you would like...my account is called - not surprisingly - mytime4t

apologies to Nat for kinda taking over / using your blog to communicate with each other.

Long live SFR!

bZirk said...

Love your search stories!

fitzg said...

tyme_4_t: you speak for this one. I'll contact you on the search site.

Nat, major apologies for taking this space - just no other idea how to get the M.Ls (and anyone else together). Thank you. And we'll definitely stay here as we are.

JEMAA said...

I'm in for a Canadian group! Will check out the youtube thing!

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

Ladies (and gents?) I seriously do NOT mind if you leave comments for each other on this blog! Do it all you want. Pretty much anything goes here, except bullying or other mean stuff, of course. Now if you'll excuse me... there's some mint chocolate chip ice cream callin' my name!

Phylly3 said...

Okay Nat, since you're sure you don't mind...
I'd like to kindly invite one and all to my blog: Phylly's Faves where RA reigns supreme amongst all my other faves (many of which are Canadian as am I).
Another suggestion...C19 Forum has a section called the Nose and Frown(like a pub to meet with friends and chat) and Charleybrown set up a thread there called "TIM HORTON'S Double double" for Canadians (or anyone else who is interested) to hang out.

*Chica Popcorn* said...

Hello Nat!!!!

I hope you are pok and my comment is on time by now XDDD...
Well, last night I was thinking about the possibility of changing my nickname "chica opopcorn" and write "Andrea Puig" instead...I hoipe it is possible for you to change it please please!!!

Thanks!!

fitzg said...

We Canadians have usurped much space here. I'm going to try to access the C19 forums suggested, and perhaps we (and non-Canadians) can gather there to explore possibilities.

Not too premature to express heartfelt thanks to Nat, for your generosity. To bZirk, phylly3, tyme 4 t, for the suggestions.

Having somewhat instigated interest in starting a blog out of Canada (but absolutely open to all who might find it interesting),my tech skills are on a par with the DIY ("where's the duct tape?!")I'd hesitate to take responsibility for being the blogger. Is it that easy, bZirk? I still can't access my gmail mail - I swear I have followed every order in trying to resurrect it - so that tells you all you need to know about those skills...

If I have anything to offer to a project, it would be ideas, formatting, organization of information.

Thanks, everyone, North & South of the border, across the oceans etc. COLLEAGUES ARE VERY OK!

B* said...

I have been a member of C19 for a while and there are some Canadian members there; the Tim Horton's Double Double thread has been quiet for a while....maybe it's time for a latte? I am a techno-dinosaur myself - this may be one way to "chat' on an already established forum - and there's lots of great RA discussion happening there (plus many other interesting topics, of course, ahem ;)
I will drop by your blog, Phylly3 and search on Youtube, tyme_4_t.

You are amazing, Nat, for managing to blog while pregnant AND with two busy boys. I was miserable during my pregnancies, so I'm all for napping whenever you can! Happy eating :)

fitzg said...

Just put the fitzg name on Tim Horton's, so there's one point of contact.

Thanks, everyone.

diveknit said...

@ tyme_4_t, yeah me too, another Nova Scotian!

Twinkling Moon said...

Um, I feel really stupid. But I think fitzg mentioned there is some sort of US based fan group. Ok, I'm very techno stupid and am wondering if there is some sort of specific blog/fandom that is targeted for Americans that I should be signed up to or something?

bZirk said...

@TM,

Maybe we're both stupid, because I don't know either. But then maybe I'm misunderstanding to what she's referring.

Twinkling Moon said...

oh and one more thing for the letter to Mr. A...

Mr. Armitage, I know people say you have lovely eyes, and you do. But when I look at you, I can't help but notice your mouth. You see, your teeth are just beautiful! I just want to reach out and touch them. Please don't be scared of me, I'm a professional! I'm a dentist, really, I swear. [Okay, maybe this is just too creepy, I'm creeping myself out with this last bit, please feel free to edit or fully dump this comment from letter Nat. No offense will be taken :) But it's so true. I really do want to touch his teeth!]

bZirk said...

[oh, I want to touch them too; to see if they're real. LOL! See, Nat, I put that in brackets so under no circumstances can you put that in the letter or I really will earn my nickname, which I had long before I was an RA fan by the way.

I'm still trying to come up with something so clever it even makes me faint. Obviously, no luck yet since I'm still nattering away in brackets. :D]

fitzg said...

Didn't mean to mislead re: U.S.-fan
groups. Actually, was referring to the blogs emanating from the U.S. (as there are from other countries). Sorry for any confusion.

Anonymous said...

[@Twinkling Moon: The last part actually made me LOL. If a fellow collegue admires his/her work (the dentist's, I know we all admire RA's) ;), it'll let him know he has a good dentist :P]

OML :)

Twinkling Moon said...

@bZirk and Onemorelurker1, good to know that I didn't sound too weird. sometimes it's hard to tell how things come across in the written word, you know?

@bZirk, I think his teeth are "real" just porcelain veneers that I'm dying to touch, LOL! But I'm impressed, seriously, from what I was able to see in SB when he opens his mouth and screams, I don't think he's got one silver filling! I've said it before and I'll say it again, "oh Mr.A, what a beautiful mouth you have" *sigh*